Behind the Passenger's Seat

photo: http://amoveablefeast1.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/that-strange-red-afternoon/


It was late. I  was at a party in a large suite on an upper floor of a hotel. One side of the room was filled with some Seattle acquaintances I knew, the other side filled with people I had never seen before in my life. As the night drug on I saw someone I didn’t want to talk to so I wandered to the other side of the room. This side of the room had a large window overlooking a beautifully-lit, garden terrace where the party (or a different party) extends.

I looked out the window for a moment to people watch and wonder what the lady with the wine glass was telling the man in the suit. When I turned around, nearly everyone was gone. All of my acquaintances had left and I knew that I had been abandoned by a fault of my own. I was overcome with anxiety.

As a result of being aloof and left behind, I had missed my flight home. But, I didn’t know where that was.

I “came to” sitting behind the passenger's seat of a car. I realized, at this point, I had decided to hitch-hike home (I was not accosted or unsafe in any way, just no memory of what happened prior to that). The sun was lowering on the horizon and permeating the sky and the car with insanely beautiful shades of orange and red. I felt so deeply content at this moment yet knew I was in the midst of a journey to reach “home.” Sitting beside me was a bashful, adorable little red-headed girl with a bob haircut. The feeling of contentment was so overwhelming as I tried to chat with this little girl. Every time our eyes met there was an eerie, momentary pause, then she would smirk and coyly rest her face in her hands.  Sitting in front of me was a lady with an uncanny resemblance to Reba McEntire and I assumed it was the little girl’s mother. Reba kept reminding her daughter not to look into the lens (my eyes), telling her that she would be breaking the “fourth wall.” This was especially confusing to me because I remember wishing I had brought my camera; thinking that, if I had, the light streaming into the car on this little girl would make for a for a particularly beautiful photo.

We pulled into a short gravel driveway (and the car we were in morphed into a truck) leading to an expansive rambler-style house. Reba told me we were in Colorado and I noticed receding snow on the grass that surrounded the driveway on both sides. Inside the home there were several rooms with opened french doors. Each room was decked out with Christmas decorations, though they all had a different theme.

We walked outside we the intent to leave. I wasn’t quite sure where we were going but I had almost forgotten my camera. I went back to grab it and upon my return the sky had turned gray and two more people were outside; it was a couple that looked just like a young Denzel Washington and Tamron Hall. Reba, Denzel and Tamron were so excited for me, as if they knew something grand was about to happen to or for me and they were keeping it a secret.

I had accidently left my shoes behind.

We’re in a car dealership (no memory of the ride) and in the center of the car-filled lot was an enormous satellite dish. I didn’t know what I was doing there but I knew that, whatever it was, it was going to be petrifying but essential. I was filled with anxiety once again.

Tamron handed me what looked like a hubcap or metal frisbee that had long oval slots to grip it comfortable; similar to a steering wheel for an arcade-style race car game. The instant I clasped my hands tightly around the “wheel” I was pulled into the sky by an unbelievably strong force. I flipped and twirled haphazardly toward the satellite dish high in the sky, understanding that I could not unmake the decision to grab the wheel; that if I let go I would undoubtedly plunge fatally to the ground. I reached the satellite dish after passing through a gray cloud of supernatural visions. The only one I remember being a bright while alien face with large, pitch-black eyes.

I was on the ground moments later with a deep feeling of tranquility mixed with euphoria; like I had when I was sitting in the car basked with sun; like I knew that although it was petrifying, that I had made the right decision.  Reba, Denzel and Tamron all looked at me,  beaming from ear to ear. I smiled back at them and understood that we had all done the same thing; that, at some point in their lives, they had partaken in the same experience. I asked them if they knew where my shoes were.

Then Vera woke up.






**************

I have always had very vivid dreams. There are certain dreams I even remember from childhood. Sometimes I really enjoy this, other times I absolutely hate it. Last night (of course as the girls slept soundly) I was awoken by this dream.

A few years ago Joe encouraged me to begin writing down the dreams while they were still fresh in my mind (like Seinfeld did in that one episode), and it has helped immensely if I want to reflect on specific details. Here are the notes from this one:

Hotel
Acquaintances
Missed flight
Hitch hike
Red head
fourth wall
Photo/ video
Snow
Colorado
Christmas decorations
Grab camera
Left shoes
Car dealership
Anxiety- scary but essential
Hub cap
Satellite dish
Uncontrollable force
Walking around after knowing everyone I was with had done that
Asking where my shoes were  

I have no idea what this dream means, if anything at all. But, I am very interested in seeing if any of you have ideas as to what it may mean? Or, if you'd like, share interesting dreams that you have had?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join me on Facebook Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Pinterest Follow me on Google Follow me on Instagram Email me