Joe's Cookies


Today, March 19th, is St. Joseph’s Day.

If you haven’t heard of it, I don’t blame you. It wasn’t until I met my husband, Joseph (the third), whose patron saint is St. Joseph, who went to a Catholic University called St. Joseph’s, and whom I met in Spain, a country that celebrates St. Joseph’s Day, did I discover this holiday existed!

Long story (very very) short, it is a day of feasting! In particular, Joe has traditionally had sweets. So, here is a tried and true recipe for yummy cookies. They are adapted from a good ol’ fashioned Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. But, I added walnuts. So, they’re now “Joe’s Cookies,” because like him, they’re sweet, but a little nuts.

Give ‘em a try. They’re really not half bad!

  • 3/4 cup shortening
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Put parchment on or grease cookie sheets.
In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together shortening, butter, brown sugar and white sugar until light and fluffy. (1)
Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition, then stir in the vanilla. (2)
Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually stir into the creamed mixture. I like to use a 1/4 measure to gradually scoop into the mixer. (3)
Finally, mix in the chocolate chips and walnuts. (4)


Drop by rounded spoonfuls, using a small ice cream scoop, onto the prepared cookie sheets.


Bake for 9 minutes, or until cookies are just beginning to brown. If there’s one thing I hate more than no cookie, it’s an overcooked cookie.
On our honeymoon in Mexico I picked up some delicious Mexican vanilla. I used the rest of it for this recipe. This is what the girls thought of that:
"Is it organic?"

"It's a travesty!"
Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join me on Facebook Follow me on Twitter Follow me on Pinterest Follow me on Google Follow me on Instagram Email me